HSR Southern Cross recognises that our activities have the potential to interact with the environment with possible negative results and aim to minimise these interactions by implementing and integrating environmental considerations throughout all aspects of our businesses activities.
The General Manager has overall accountability and responsibility for implementing and maintaining initiatives and compliance to all aspects of Environmental Management Policy.
HSR Southern Cross recognises the ethical, social and business requirements to comply with all applicable laws and regulations governing protection of the environment. HSR Southern Cross seeks to actively influence all staff, business partners and customers to consider the environment and actively participate in reducing an individuals / businesses impact upon it.
Sustainable manufacturing is an integral part of our business. We will maintain and enhance this by:
- Establishing Environmental Management Systems for the identification, classification, assessment, and review of all issues relating to environmental management.
- Continuously improving our services by setting measurable goals, supporting/ providing ongoing training, and constantly monitoring and reviewing the effectiveness of the management system.
- Provide services that meet or exceed relevant statutory legislation, industry guidelines, appropriate Australian and International Standards and applicable contracts.
- Minimising negative or adverse impacts from our activities on the environment, and influencing our customers and business partners to do the same;
- Identifying specific environmental risks that could occur as part of a project and implementing measurable objectives and targets to eliminate or minimise this risk;
- Requiring each staff member and contractors to provide a work method statement documenting consideration of their potential to cause adverse impact on the environment, and methods to eliminate or minimise this risk;
- Promoting environmental awareness throughout our company through weekly toolbox meeting and regular training;
- Requiring each person working on a project to be informed of and be aware of their role in relation to environmental protection, and methods to eliminate or reduce environmental risk;
- Identifying best practice environmental management procedures where possible to set an example to business partners, visitors, customers and other Companies in our sphere of influence; and
- Promoting waste, water and energy reduction measures to our customers during the design and construction of our products and services.
- Implement site specific Environmental Management Plans.
- Maintaining effective communication and/or training to our employees, contractors, customers and visitors to ensure that environmental management practices are undertaken;
- We require our management, staff, contractors and visitors to comply with this Environmental Policy, and will provide adequate resources to implement, maintain, review and improve this Policy on a regular basis.
Initiatives undertaken by HSR to reduce our Environmental Impact
- At HSR, we take active responsibility to minimise the environmental impact of our operation. To achieve this, we have implemented lean and sophisticated production methods which not only offer substantial benefits in terms of sustainability, but which have cost and quality advantages, too.
- To help integrate sustainability across our company, we have put in place values, standards, and policies which our people aspire to and follow.
- Our efforts to care for the environment extend beyond the manufacturing process itself. We have, for example, introduced a waste registration system on site that have significant cost and environmental benefits.
- We also actively promote the use of returnable and reusable packaging by our main OEM customers.
- We have made conscious moves toward Computer Controlled machinery such as Plasma Cutters, Brake Press and Guillotines, this has resulted in significant reductions in raw material wastage and energy consumption, through the equipment selecting the most efficient use of sheet materials and reduced power usage in comparison to manually operated equipment
- Source Separation of Recyclables. HSR actively promote staff ensure the Circular Economy of separation of all recyclable materials on site, with appropriate contractors engaged to collect recyclable materials
- HSR have implemented a paperless job allocation system. Ultising the iAuditor program to receive customers vehicles, plant and equipment, then complete works through this platform has drastically reduced the usage of paper within our business.
- Installation of workshop overhead cranes to the facility have continued to reduce the reliance on diesel powered forklifts and mobile cranes.